Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sue's Spinach Souffle
This recipe came from Ben's mum. She says she found it in a Cuisinart Baby Cookbook and made it because it had 4 eggs in it and was a way of getting kids to eat eggs. I'm a bit surprised by this as I'd think that it would be easier to get kids to eat eggs than a whack-load of spinach. However, it's one of our favourite side dishes, often found next to the Cornbread Pudding at Christmas or Thanksgiving Dinner. And we normally call it Spinach Goo, but that doesn't sound all that appetizing, does it? And Clara says, "It doesn't look very good but it tastes good!"

750 g frozen spinach, thawed and drained
4 eggs
1 onion, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup grated cheddar

Preheat oven to 375
1. Using a food processor, process salt, onion and 4 eggs. Add as much spinach as will fit and process until it's nearly smooth. Transfer mixture to an oiled shallow baking dish (I use spray oil) and finish processing remaining spinach. Add to dish and stir gently to combine. (If you have a large food processor-I don't- you should be able to fit it all in one go)
2. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until mixture is set.
3. Remove from oven, spread with sour cream and sprinkle cheese on top. Broil about 5 minutes until the cheese melts. Serve immediately

I have made this ahead, stopping after Step 1, covering with plastic wrap and refrigerating until I am ready to bake it. I have also used fresh spinach which I wilt beforehand in a big pot with about an inch of water and some garlic thrown in for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment