Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Susan Masino's Cornbread Pudding
When we lived in Houston, we hooked up with a couple who had kids our age. We loved hanging out with Susan and Albert (or Suebert), spending entire weekends in their suburban backyard, swimming, reading the New York Times, eating and drinking. Ben and I both have such fond memories of these guys and we even went to visit them in Tulsa when he was relocated. I think their kids thought we were really weird, to want to hang out with their parents, but they were really fun people!
Susan contributed at least 2 recipes to my collection of things I regularly make and this is one of them. It is probably on the side of the Jiffy Corn Muffin box but in case it isn't, this is one of those recipes that you make and think, "Oooo, yum, it's dessert as a side dish!" We used to have it only at Thanksgiving and Christmas but I've decided it's too good to only have twice a year.

Cornbread Pudding
1/3-1/2 stick of butter (I think you can make this a bit more healthy by using less butter)
3 egg whites
1 can of corn niblets (I tend to buy a small can)
1 can of creamed corn (I buy whatever size I can find)
1 cup of sour cream
1 box of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix (this isn't available in Canada so I use half a box of PC Organics cornbread muffin mix)

1. Melt butter in a large casserole dish. Add eggs to butter and beat.
2. Pour in corn and juice, creamed corn, sour cream and dry mix.
3. Mix well and bake 40-50 minutes or until it feels sturdy at 350.

Notes: I have made the dry cornmuffin mix myself and omitted the sugar to have a less desserty-style dish. You can use light sour cream or yoghurt also.

No comments:

Post a Comment