Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Baking chez moi
Here is the craziness that my kitchen turns into when I decide to do some mass baking.
This weekend I made Chunky Monkey Muffins, Nana Elsie's apple crumble and sour cream chocolate cake. And this is all before I accept delivery of a white (no choice in colour) KitchenAid Professional Bowl Lift Stand Mixer that was on sale through Airmiles (2400 points instead of 3200, still leaving us enough to fly to Ontario in August). About 18 months ago, a similar mixer went 'on sale' through Airmiles and we didn't get it, figuring it would be there for a while and then it was, poof, just gone from the Rewards list. So this time, when I saw it 'on sale', Ben and I briefly hesitated and then I ordered it. Seeing as all the taxes and shipping are paid too, it's a pretty good deal.
My mum asked for this recipe, which is funny because she has the original book but can't find it. It's a really really yummy moist cake and I would highly recommend you make some now.

Mme. Jehane Benoit's Sour Cream Chocolate Cake
6 tbsp butter = 90 mls (just under 1/2 cup)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/3 cup flour
1.5 tsp BP
1 tsp BS
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sour cream (you can sub. plain yogo)
1 pack chocolate chips
1 tbsp sugar

1. In an electric mixer, combine butter, sugar and eggs and beat for 10 minutes (um, as if I have 10 minutes to stand there holding the electric mixer. Maybe when I get my new Professional White Kitchenaid stand mixer that we ordered through airmiles on Saturday, yes)
2. Mix dry and add to wet. Fold in sour cream.
3. Pour in a 9x13" greased and floured (or lined with parchment paper) baking pan.
4. Scatter chips evenly across top and sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake 35 minutes at 350 or until cake pulls away from sides and smells done.
And the next shot is of the Valley of Chocolate Chips...

No comments:

Post a Comment